The Morwick G360 Groundwater Research Institute at the University of Guelph is seeking a Chief Operations Officer (COO). Reporting to the Director of the Morwick G360 Institute, the COO will provide organizational, operational, and financial leadership to Morwick G360. The COO will leverage technical and scientific expertise by using their strong administrative, financial, operational and communication skills to link the various interdependent components that comprise Morwick G360 to mobilize the research activities and outcomes effectively and efficiently as the primary outputs and communicate the value for all stakeholders.
What this opportunity offers you:
- A chance to support some of the brightest minds in the groundwater research field to effectively and efficiently work together to innovate and develop new technologies that solve the complex problems of contaminated groundwater and water resource protection;
- Access to leading edge tools, technologies and research facilities including the globally unique Morwick Groundwater Research Centre located on the University of Guelph campus and associated field research sites and infrastructure;
- The opportunity to help shape the organization, reporting, and value creation of a University based Research Institute that works interdisciplinary, intercollege, interuniversity and internationally;
- Direct involvement in mobilizing research results into practice and policy development for societal impact;
- Leadership capacity to develop Morwick G360 procedures and methods for training and compliance with all University and jurisdictional regulations and policies (OSHA, USA HAZWOPER, MOECC, etc.) relevant to the institute’s activities;
- The opportunity to advance communication methods and procedures to facilitate technology transfer and outreach, maintain existing sponsor interests and capture new sponsor interests and value creation, and ensure communication of that value and needs to University stakeholders (academic and research units); and
- A collaborative relationship with the Morwick G360 Advisory Board to establish operating procedures and implement actions that support the strategic directions and milestones with agreed to implementation plan and priorities.
To assume the role of Chief Operating Officer, you must have:
- A professional degree, preferably a Master’s degree, in Geological / Civil / Chemical / Environmental Engineering or Hydrogeology, or Earth / Environmental Sciences coupled with extensive professional experience with aspects relating to groundwater contamination;
- Demonstrated success operating at a senior leadership level managing large, multi disciplinary teams;
- Largescale operational and logistics management experience, preferably in an industry environment; ability to partner with Principal Investigators and Project Managers to successfully integrate multiple concurrent project plans, resources and deliverables to meet overall research program objectives and deadlines as well as funding mandates;
- Excellent people skills with evidence of being able to motivate individuals and teams to meet self-imposed deadlines and results;
- Results focus with demonstrated experience creating and managing operational reporting, tracking, and evaluation systems, providing specific examples;
- A solid business acumen with the ability to manage an annual operating budget of up to $6 million; capable of ensuring the long-term financial sustainability of Morwick G360 and its projects; Technical writing skills and experience preparing compelling research, grant and contract proposals;
- A reputation as an exceptional communicator and relationship builder with diverse groups of internal and external stakeholders; and
- An entrepreneurial spirit and the capability to transfer academic research into practice and inspire and enable the development of innovative ideas and commercialization opportunities.
Applications are due March 2, 2022. Please submit you application via the University of Guelph Careers Webpage.